An open call to artists for the Memphis affiliate of the Nasty Women Exhibition taking place in Queens, NYC. We are a group exhibition that serves to demonstrate solidarity among artists who identify with being a Nasty Woman in the face of threats to roll back women’s rights, individual rights, and reproductive rights. We want artists of all ages, races, religions, sexes, sexual orientations, gender or non-gender identifications, economic backgrounds, immigrants and non-immigrants.
The subject matter is up to the artist who identifies as, or supports a Nasty Woman.
Our exhibit also serves as a fundraiser to support organizations defending these rights and to echo the platform for organization after the Trump Presidential Inauguration in January.
One submission per artist will be accepted based on the guidelines below. All artists are welcome to participate regardless of prior art experience.
NASTY WOMEN Memphis will be on view:
- Opening Reception: Friday, February 10, 2017, 6 pm-9 pm
- Saturday, February 11, 2017, 6 pm-9 pm
- Sunday, February 12, 2017, 9 am-1 pm
- Monday, February 13, 2017 – Closed
- Tuesday, February 14, 2017, 11 am-5 pm
- Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 11 am-5 pm
- Thursday, February 16, 2017, 11 am-5 pm
- Friday, February 17th, 6 pm-9 pm
- Closing Reception: Saturday, February 18th, 6 pm-9 pm
- Sunday, February 19th, 2017, 9 am-1 pm
- Marshall Arts, 639 Marshall Avenue, Memphis, Tennessee
Call for Submissions
1. Submit your work before Friday, January 27, 2017, by completing the web form using the SUBMIT ENTRY link at the top of each page. On Monday, January 30, 2017 you will be notified through the contact information you provide, if your work has been selected for the show.
2. Important Dates
- Art Drop-Off: 2 pm – 7 pm, Wednesday, February 8, 2017 at Marshall Arts, 639 Marshall Avenue, Memphis, Tennessee. Wired and ready to hang/install pieces only.
- Opening Reception: Friday, February 10, 2017 , 6-9 pm
- Gallery Hours: Friday, February 10, 2017, 6 pm-9 pm; Saturday, February 11, 2017, 6 pm-9 pm; Sunday, February 12, 2017, 9 am-1 pm; Monday, February 13, 2017 – Closed
Tuesday, February 14, 2017, 11 am-5 pm; Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 11 am-5 pm; Thursday, February 16, 2017, 11 am-5 pm; Friday, February 17th, 6 pm-9 pm; Saturday, February 18th, 6 pm-9 pm; Sunday, February 19th, 2017, 9 am-1 pm
- Closing Reception: Saturday, February 18, 2017 , 6-9 pm
- Art Pick-Up: Sunday, February 19, 2017, 2-5 pm and Monday, February 20, 2017, 12-6 pm
3. Fees: There is no fee to participate in the show if you provide a piece to sell in the exhibition. 50% of the sale price of each piece sold will go to Planned Parenthood and exhibit expenses not covered by donated supplies. If your piece is not for sale, we will still accept it because we understand how valuable it is to show your work and participate in solidarity with other Nasty Women. We will mark your work NFS, however we ask that you then either:
- donate a second work that can be sold or
- make a $10 donation to the NASTY WOMEN Memphis exhibit, after acceptance and upon drop-off and an additional donation yourself to Planned Parenthood
4. Display Requirements: All artwork must be delivered, wired and ready to hang/install to be included in the exhibition. Please communicate any specific installation needs (special hanging, pedestal needs, AV equipment needs, etc) by email to email@example.com.
5. Sales: NASTY WOMEN Memphis will facilitate sales via cash, check (made out to artist) or Visa/MasterCard via PayPal during the run of the show. More details to follow.
6. Contact: To enter text or video submissions to the NASTY WOMEN Memphis Art Exhibit or for more information please contact Chelle Ellis at firstname.lastname@example.org, or comment below in the Leave a Reply box.