NASTY WOMEN Memphis | WAR Paint!
Virtual Art Exhibition & Sale: NASTY WOMEN Memphis | WAR Paint!
When: Opening Thursday, October 1st, 2020 at 6:00 pm CST
Closing: Friday, November 6, 2020
NASTY WOMEN Memphis is the Memphis, Tennessee representative and exhibit of Nasty Women Global Art Exhibitions and Activism. More than 80 exhibits have followed globally, but the original took place in Queens, NYC, after the 2016 election of Donald Trump.
We are a group exhibition that serves to demonstrate solidarity among artists who identify with being a Nasty Woman in the face of threats to roll back women’s rights, individual rights, and reproductive rights. Our exhibit also serves as a fundraiser to support Planned Parenthood of Tennessee and North Mississippi, defending these rights and to echo the platform for organization after the Trump Presidential Inauguration in January 2017.
FALL 2020 WAS OUR THIRD EXHIBIT:
Chelle Ellis and Danielle Sumler are the Memphis, Tennessee representatives for NASTY WOMEN Global Art Exhibitions and Activism, and curators of NASTY WOMEN Memphis Exhibits.
Our first exhibit, NASTY WOMEN Memphis Art Exhibition occurred on February 10-19, 2017, at Marshall Arts Gallery in Memphis.
- We exhibited over 100 artists and raised over $5,000 for Planned Parenthood of Tennessee and North Mississippi. One resident artist of Marshall Arts stated that it had been 20 years since he had seen an opening there, with a crowd as big as ours.
Our second exhibit, NASTY WOMEN Memphis – Still Here. Still Fighting. occurred on October 19-28, 2018, at South Main Artspace in Memphis.
- We exhibited over 50 artists and raised over $1,500 for Planned Parenthood of Tennessee and North Mississippi. We scrambled to put this second exhibit together in ten days after the confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh, but still managed to create a very notable show.
Our third exhibit, NASTY WOMEN Memphis | WAR Paint! was scheduled to exhibit at Crosstown Arts in Memphis, TN throughout September and October 2020. Due to Covid-19 the exhibit became virtual, opening at 6:00 pm CST, on Thursday, October 1st, 2020 at www.nastywomenmemphis.com. The exhibit ran through the presidential election, closing on Friday, November 6, 2020.
- With this exhibit we helped influence voter turnout in our area for the 2020 presidential election to remove Donald Trump from office and raised over $1,300 for Planned Parenthood of Tennessee and North Mississippi. It wasn’t as much money as we had hoped to raise; but the economical state of a Covid-19-wracked America in 2020, handled so very poorly by the Trump administration, made us very lucky to raise any money at all. We are proud of the exhibit we produced, comprised of all the strong works submitted by over 60 artists.
WHO DO WE WANT INVOLVED?
Nasty Women artists of all ages, races, religions, sexes, sexual orientations, gender or non-gender identifications, economic backgrounds, immigrants and non-immigrants. The subject matter is up to the artist who identifies as, or supports a Nasty Woman.
THE EXHIBITS IN THE MEMPHIS SHOW WILL BE SELECTED FROM ENTRIES:
Please enter your work in the NASTY WOMEN Memphis | WAR Paint! virtual exhibit at www.nastywomenmemphis.com, opening October 1st, 2020.
You will be notified through the contact information you provide, if your work has been selected for the show. Our curatorial team will coordinate with you and facilitate presentation. If you are not sure whether or not your work meets the below criteria, please send us a message and we will be in touch!
- Friday, September 25, 2020
- Thursday, October 1st, 2020 at 6:00 pm CST
- Virtual Exhibit at www.nastywomenmemphis.com
- Friday, November 6, 2020 at 11:59 pm CST
THIS EXHIBITION IS A FUNDRAISER:
The works in this exhibition will be available for sale – 50% of each sale will go to Planned Parenthood of Tennessee and North Mississippi, and exhibit expenses not covered by donated supplies, with the other 50% to be paid to the artist. If the artist chooses to allot more than 50% from the sale of their art, up to 100%, please indicate such intent in your submission or at the time of acceptance.
There is no fee to participate in the show if you provide a piece to sell in the exhibition.
VIRTUAL EXHIBIT PLAN:
Viewers will be linked to a virtual gallery where they can see our artists’ work exhibited as if they are walking through a an art gallery. Viewers will have the opportunity to buy art online, shopping from the virtual exhibit, while knowing that at least 50% of the sale price will be transferred to Planned Parenthood of Tennessee and North Mississippi.
Each work will represent its own unique voice while being unified by the overall virtual installation. It is the hope that this virtual exhibit will create a strong visual statement of solidarity.
VIDEO & SOUND:
We would like to include video for those of you who are video artists through YouTube. Please be aware that depending on how many video entries we receive we may have to loop multiple works on one monitor/projection. We will of course provide the necessary information to the audience about authorship of each piece.
We welcome writers and text artists to participate! We will include your written work in links and/or slideshows for viewing.
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR WORK:
Submission Forms are received by the curatorial team by completing the web form, using the SUBMIT WORK link at the top of each page.
PLEASE FILL OUT SUBMISSION FORM:
- Contact Information
- Details of Work (title, date, size, media)
- Artist bio
- A short statement about either the work submitted or a more general statement about why you are participating.
If you do not feel comfortable providing any information beyond the practical contact and work details that is fine. If you wish to remain anonymous we can arrange that as well, but we must have your contact details (which will not be made public).
By submitting to the NASTY WOMEN Memphis | WAR Paint! exhibit you are agreeing to allow us to use your name and work image to help in the promotion of the exhibition. If your work is sold, the curatorial team will coordinate with you for the transfer of your work to the buyer and 50% of payment of your work to you.
TRANSFER OF SOLD ART:
As this is a virtual exhibit, there is no drop off prior to the opening. Please submit well lit, high resolution images of your work for exhibition and sale. If your work is sold, the curatorial team will coordinate with you for the transfer of your work to the buyer and 50% of payment of your work to you.
QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS:
Use our CONTACT page if you still have questions or want to send us a comment.